A new Bio Bus from Bristol!! it runs on human waste, No S–t! Yes S–t. Its not a completely new idea, during the war years many cars often ran with a bag of gas on the roof (see photo). However, using human waste is surely an available and renewal source of fuel for the future. Heck, maybe if they had an on board toilet they could keep the bus running indefinitely!!! What is known as perpetual motion!!! Joking aside, if we can use such waste materials from humans, maybe animals this could be a valuable source of energy. It could also be good for the planet, fossil fuels are clearly not the way of the future, we need to change and sooner rather than later. Climate change is not just something batted around by scientists, it is real and not getting better.
The new bus runs with a dome like roof where the gas is carried and fed to a engine similar in design to a diesel engine. The exhaust is odor free and from what I can determine, harmless.
- A single passenger’s annual food and sewage waste would fuel the Bio-Bus for 37 miles (60km)
- Its combustion engine is similar in design to diesel equivalents in conventional buses
- Compressed gas is stored in dome-like tanks on the roof of the Bio-Bus
- The gas is generated through anaerobic digestion – where oxygen starved bacteria breaks down biodegradable material to produce methane-rich biogas
- To power a vehicle, the biogas undergoes “upgrading”, where carbon dioxide is removed and propane added
- Impurities are removed to produce virtually odour free emissions
- Compared to conventional diesel vehicles, up to 30% less carbon dioxide is emitted
It is time we moved forward with these new ideas, the Indian car that runs on compressed air and now the Bio Bus. I wonder what the planet will look like in the next hundred years. Think back to what it looked like 100 years ago, with the emerging automobile industry. We have an exciting future ahead.
God Bless and keep reading